Monday, January 30, 2012

My Affinity for At-home Spa Activities

Disclaimer: Two posts in one night, or an entire day even, is not something ya'll should get used to.  However, I did something tonight that might actually be of interest, so I'm writing about it before I lose my drive.  This is also somewhat of a chic post (I have those tendencies every once in a while), so to my guy friends, I do apologize.  There will be much football and revelry later on in the week with the upcoming Superbowl. :)
*****
I have a new-found affinity for  spa recipes and things of the sort, both homemade and store-bought.  I enjoy reading about these types of things and trying them out. My two most recent finds are the Garnier Fructis 3-minute Damage Reversal Treatment and some various homemade facial mask/scrub recipes.

Garnier Fructis 3-minute Damage Reversal Treatment
I found this on the shelf at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago ago and decided to give it a try.  I have extremely fine hair and have a hard time keeping it from getting damaged.  I never do anything to my hair because I don't want to take time away from my precious sleep to get up earlier to do something with it, which means I never straighten it or do anything else with intense heat.  I simply blow-dry (after applying a heat protectant), but I still get split/dead ends.  Up until I found this treatment, nothing really worked, and I was skeptical trying this.  That said, this stuff is GREAT.  I usually leave it on for more that three minutes, and use it once a week.  It's also under $5, so if you're looking for an inexpensive damage treatment, give this a try.  

Oatmeal
I've done quite a bit of reading lately about the benefits of oatmeal when applied to the face and finally resolved to try it out.  After looking at several different recipes, I decided to combine some of the ingredients that were common in all of them.  My recipe was as follows.  (For the oatmeal, I used my Magic Bullet to grind it up into a powder consistency.  Use whatever is going to work best for you.)
Oatmeal Face Mask

Ingredients
1/4 c oatmeal
1.5 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. lemon juice

Directions: Grind the oatmeal into a powder.  Add the other ingredients and mix well.  (If the mixture is too thick, add a bit more olive oil and lemon juice to thin it out.)  Apply to your face, starting with your chin area. Work your way upward to your forehead, then cover the rest of your face.  Leave on until mixture dries, then wash it off.  For me, I re-wet the mixture and used it to exfoliate my face, then rinsed it off completely.  My face feels really soft and moisturized, and I get a sort of satisfaction knowing that I didn't have to use any chemicals to do so.  

If any ladies have recipes/products that they want to share, comment below!  I don't know if I have any female readers yet, so I kind of feel like I'm talking to myself when I say that.  *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment